Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My Rides

The two pictures on the left are the stock photos from the Masi and Trek websites. Here are the two actual road bikes I currently own. I don't need two, I just wanted two. First of all because it's fun. Second of all, I can mess around working on the Trek in order to learn how to build a bike (a from scratch build is something I really want to do). A lastly, with another bike around to tool on, I can reserve the Masi for professional hands so I don't screw it up.


Here is my Masi Gran Corsa:

I love this bike. Carbon fork and stays, bladed spokes, 105/Ultegra mix, and sweet paint job flashing a little Italiano. I got Gary at Pro Bike to add on some aero bars and a computer (real basic one with speed, avg speed, distance, and cadence). The seat was moved pretty far forward as well, bascially setting this puppy up at sort of a tri/road hybrid type thing. So, I use it when training solo for triathlons or on rides approaching metric century distance. When in a pace line I just stay off the aero bars, which do flip up so I can use the whole handlebar (they are zip tied down in the picture and ready to race). It's light, fast, forgiving, and I love riding it. It also has a home inside my house. No garage accomodations for the Masi, just the good life in the dining room. Ofcourse, this is mainly because I haven't put up racks in my garage. Without storage shelves and hangers, it's hard to find room for four bikes (these two, my room mate's though it will be gone in a month, and the one I'm working on), a lawn mower, a weed eater, a leaf blower, a garbage can, an electric edger, my tools, and my Honda.


My Trek 1000:

The first road bike I owned. It is a very reliable and overall a very quality ride. It's got a carbon fork, and I forget what mix it has on it. It's become my "practice working on it" bike as well as a great set up for short group rides. I use the Masi on longer rides because there is a much better chance I'll find myself riding solo and I need those aero bars to catch up to a pace line. It's also fun to hop on this bike and do some climbing on hills in some old neighborhoods. There's nothing fancy about this bike. Just pedals and gears, and in a way, that's why I like it so much. Anyway, when I was coming off of knee surgery, the doc suggested biking. I started looking around, and found this at a good entry level price at the time. I didn't feel like diving straight into the deep end because what if I didn't like riding. Seems like a foolish question at the time.

No comments: