Monday, March 10, 2008

Why I don't do Duathlons

Daaammmnnn.... And I thought the bike to the run was a hard transition.

Yesterday I did an hour run. A nice, easy, slow pace somewhere around 11 minutes a mile. Oh yeah, I'm EXTREMELY slow. A combination of being bow legged, pigeon toed, and a four hour surgery on my right knee in May of 2005 have sort of handicapped my running. Anyway, I have a 10k personal best of just over 9:30 a mile, so this actually was a VERY slow pace for me. Anyway, I got on the bike which was hooked up to the trainer and H O L Y S H E E T!!!

I averaged 15mph for thirty minutes. Do what? I can normally hop on the trainer and EASILY crank out 20-21, and if I really want to work, and hour at 26-28 is attainable. It was brutal. My legs just wouldn't turn the cranks.

As for today, I managed to get in a 2000 yard swim. Did a 300 warmup, then a ladder. That would be 100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100. Then a 100 cool down. I sprinted the 100s and swam a 1:15 and a 1:18. These are in yards by the way. Also, before I swam, I did a 40 minute run. 5 min warm up and cool down sandwiched around a 30 min run at 10 min/mile on the treadmill.

So, 10 days into March I've biked 55 miles, ran 18, swam 7200 yards, done an hour of weights, and an hour of spin class. Pretty light actually as I took an easy week before starting this training plan for the Heatwave Triathlon. Even now that it has started, I have a bike race this weekend, so I don't want to kill myself this week.

So far for the year I'm at 655 miles on the bike, 84 miles run, 42k yards in the pool, 8 hours of weights, six hours of spin class, and my weight has gone from 175 to 163 without any decrease in energy. I feel like I'm off to a good start

No comments: