Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Shit meet Mr. Fan

Yep, the shit is hitting the proverbial fan, and there is no lack of poo. Name a rider, any rider, don't be shy. Did he dope?

Probably.

Dopers suck. They suck, they suck, they suck.

In case you don't know, Alexander Vinokourov tested positive for blood doping. (Check the Velonews RSS feed on the left) He was the team leader for Astana. The one who was fighting through pain with stitches in his arm and knee. Completely out of the hunt for the yellow jersey. The pre-race favorite gutting it out, riding with class, and winning two stages to prove he could have done it and he was no quitter.

Well screw him. Screw Basso. Screw Hamilton. Screw Floyd??? Maybe. Am I an idiot for still holding to belief that Lance was clean? He'd one of the main reasons I ride. If he can beat cancer and win seven Tours, I can get off my ass and shake off knee surgery to run marathons and triathlons. I even set a personal best today (for a 20 mile ride, which is the distance of the bike leg in my next triathlon). Still, every single rider that stabs the sport in the heart with a doped up dagger makes me believe less and less in Lance.

Damnit. I had a great day at work. I set a personal best on my bike, which has really fired me up for my triathlon on August 25th. It finally hit me that I'm going to three Red Sox games in about a week and that I'm finally getting down to the beach in about a month with my girlfriend and a bunch of my closest friend. However, this doping bullshit is still eating at me. It shouldn't. I know that. I ride because I like to. I will never be a professional. I ride against myself. Still, I wish the sport I have grown to love would not do this to me. The sport I grew up loving, baseball, has already done it to me.

Are there any clean sports out there?

No comments: