Monday, July 30, 2007

Levi saves the day

Well, he saved professional cycling for me. I'll never get off my bike, but I had just about sworn off ever watching another pro bike race again. This year's tour kicked fans in gut. On the one hand, it's a good thing they caught so many cheaters. On the other hand, it's really hard to handle when the yellow jersey gets kicked out along with Vinokourov. It was a week long nut shot.

Then Levi rode the Stage 19 time trial. I've never seen anything like it. Fourth fastest in tour history. He made up almost two minutes on the yellow jersey. He was flying on his bike and it was a beautiful thing to watch. I even found myself standing up screaming "Go Levi Go!" right along with his coach in the car. Still, I gained even more respect for Levi for what I heard he did after his time trial. He was back in his team's motorhome, watching his team mate, Alberto Contador ride his TT, the man who was wearing the yellow that Levi wanted so badly. Levi couldn't win the yellow, Cadel Evans had held an eight second lead (down from :50) over Levi. Now Levi was standing in the motor home, screaming for Alberto. Cheering his 24 year old team mate to hold onto the yellow.

Alberto held it, and Levi could not have looked happier.

He's a true professional, a great cyclist, a great guy, and he's never been mentioned in the same sentence as doping. It was a privilege to watch Levi race this past Saturday.

No comments: