Monday, August 6, 2007

First Crash!

And that comes with an exclamation point because it wasn't serious. In fact, it was sort of embarassing. It actually happened the last day of the Tour, but I've been in Boston all week and forgot to post about it.

I was on mile 36 of 37 during a loop around the Ross Barnett Reservoir, turning left onto Hollybush Road. This is the road my subdivision is right off of. I was practically home. My back tire hit a patch of dirt and gravel and kind of kicked on me. I did a major wobble, but straightened out. Unfortunately I straightened out headed right at ditch. I turned hard left, but ended up running off onto the gravel shoulder. As I tried to remain upright, I unclipped and decided coasting would be better than braking and skidding uncontrollably. Well, it was really rough and loose and I started tipping to my left, toward the asphalt. I set my left foot down in reflex to try and break the fall. As roadies know, road shoes don't exactly have traction. It slipped right out from under me, and I was fully in a fall. I twisted and landed right on my ass, skidding just a bit as I had slowed down a good deal.

The final result? A bruised left cheek andd ego, but the shorts, bike, and tires were all good to go. I didn't even check myself out till I got home. I looked the Masi over and over though. The bike comes first. Hey, and at least it didn't turn out like this bike that I saw locked to a rack at MIT. (I did get some MIT socks at a bike store I randomly walked past.)


And here's a sign a cyclist can't be too thrilled about. You're private space is ending followed by a request that all to often goes unheeded.


This was cool, though. Here I am at the Boston Marathon finish line. Probably the only time I'll ever cross it, as my running style is comparable to a sloth.

No comments: